Hi! I am a freelance translator based in Granada, Spain. I take translation as my devotion, in the hope to create the best possible “contact zones” for linguistic and cultural encounters.
Currently, I am doing a doctoral study in the field of translation studies and comparative literature at the University of Granada. My research interest lies broadly in translation theories, American literature, modernist poetry, East-West literary relations, and literary geography.
Born and raised in Tianjin, China, I have studied and lived in Beijing, Edinburgh, Bologna, and now Granada. Life is elsewhere. “I am at home everywhere”.
University of Granada
PhD programme: Lenguas, Textos, y Contexts
University of Edinburgh
Master of Science: Teaching English to
Speakers of Other Languages
University of Bologna
Erasmus PhD exchange programme
Beijing Foreign Studies University
Bachelor of Arts: Translation and Interpreting
Professionally trained in translation/interpreting theories and practices, specialised in consecutive/spontaneous interpreting
Services I provide:
Translation of written texts (English <> Chinese; Spanish > English/Chinese) for specialists and the general public, of varied kinds of documents, including books, academic articles, essays, presentations, abstracts, letters, brochures, websites, teaching materials, and more
Interpreting (English <> Chinese): Consecutive/spontaneous interpreting at Conference, liaison interpreting, sight interpreting, whispered interpreting
Bibliographical and other research
Communication management when language is the barrier for you on your behalf
English/Chinese language teaching
fields in which I work:
- Literary Criticism
- Philosophy and Critical Theory
- Film and Art Theory
- Other fields in the Social Sciences and Humanities
- Higher Education
- Lifestyle, travelling, tourism
- General industrial, judicial, medical fields
My clients include:
- Publishing houses
- Translation agencies
A real translation is transparent; it does not cover the original, does not block its light, but allows the pure language, as though reinforced by its own medium, to shine upon the original all the more fully.
It is the task of the translator to release in his own language that pure language which is under the spell of another, to liberate the language imprisoned in a work in his re-creation of that work.
Previous projects examples
- As simultaneous interpreter: In the 76th World Association of Zoos and Aquariums (WAZA)’s Virtual Annual Conference (11-14 October 2021)，I offered the simultaneous interpretation service（English > Chinese）for all the sessions including the keynote speeches, panel discussions, and so on.
- As consecutive interpreter: During the 18th Beijing International Book Fair, I worked for two publishing houses of the Netherlands: De Arbeiderspers and Balans, providing my interpreting service to the publishers, distributors, literary agents, and digital media companies.
- As document translator: In the Gu’an OLED Supporting Industrial Park Architectural Design Program, I brought forward the tender documents from Chinese into English in my translation.
- As subtitle translator: in the NetEase Online Open Courses Project, I transcribed and translated the open courses of The Stanford University (using the software Time Machine). The contents of the courses range from Ancient Japanese fine arts to the African-American Civil Rights Movement.
- As content creator: I worked two years at lychee.com in the position of editor and travel writer, doing field research and writing reviews for design/boutique hotels as a hotel connoisseur.
- Other work/intern experiences: China Translation and Publishing Corporation (translating financial documents), China.com.cn (translating media news), etc.
Recent projects examples
- Work as writer, content creator for the Media Public “Time Island”, in cooperation with the National Tourist Office of Spain.
- Proofreading of legal documents (Spanish>English), with the machine translation software Trados (I use CAT tools when appropriate)
American Dreams: Lost and Found by the Pulitzer Prize winner Studs Terkel (English to simplified Chinese, 600,000 words, Jiangsu Literature and Art Publishing House 2017).
- Outstanding continuous academic background: my study experiences at Beijing Foreign Studies University (known as “Cradle of Diplomats”, ranked the 17th out of 2,965 universities in China according to the statistics conducted on scores of test-takers from 2012 to 2019 for the National College Entrance Examination); the University of Edinburgh (ranked 20th in the 2021 QS World University Rankings), the University of Bologna (“Alma Mater Studiorum”, the oldest university in the world), University of Granada (one of the most important academic centers in Spain) have equipped me with an in-depth understanding of knowledge that I can put in practice every day in my work.
- My immersive living experiences in China, UK, Italy, and Spain enable me to handle the nuanced areas in cross-cultural communication.
- I pay full attention to precision and details with the stylistic versatility needed for translating.
- I am passionate about my job. I respect professional ethics and I guarantee total confidentiality of the clients.